5 Great Ways to Get Workers Utilize Personal Protective Equipment
We are living in the era, where technology has revolutionized everything we do. The time has gone when we are helpless in terms of solutions. Where we are making world-shattering technological enhancements in every sphere of our life, how can we forget the massive sphere of organisational workers? Earlier, work-force employed in organisation was exposed to life threats and health diseases due to the dangerous working environments, but now Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) has revolutionized their work history up to greater extents. Although, it’s the duty or responsibility of the employer or organisation to utilize PPE at work, it still has saved the million lives.
If we talk about the exact definition, Personal Protective Equipment is the utilization of certain meticulously devised equipments that will certainly safeguard the user against health or safety risks at work. It contains the use of multifarious products such as safety gloves, eye-protection safety goggles, high visibility safety jackets, and safety helmets. That’s not it; PPE also includes the Respiratory protective equipments also known as RPE.
What is the exact need of PPE? Why it’s imperative for workers employed?
This is one of the most communal and significant questions for every factory owners and workers employed. It helps saving the life of those who are out there working into dangerous conditions. If we talk straightforwardly, PPE is important for making the organisational workplace safe. It’s not just limited to giving a certain kind of clothing and material to task-force, but it includes giving proper instructions, procedures, training, and supervision to motivate people work carefully and safely.
Even in those organisational working conditions where engineering controls and proper systems of work has been applied, some hazards remnants, which lead to severe damages or injuries to
- The lungs, for ex- from inhaling in contaminated oxygen.
- The eyes, for ex- from several flying particles or splashes of acidic liquids
- The Body- for ex- from being long hours in extremes of hot and cold environment
- The Head and feet, for ex- from falling materials to the head or leg.
Therefore, PPE equipments are essentially required to safeguard the people working in such conditions.
5 Great Techniques to Get Workers Utilize the Personal Protective Equipments
Now that you know why PPE is needed for your people, the main crucial task is how to get your workers use them. The reason why it’s a daunting task is the ignorance or unwillingness of workers in applying PPE in their working hours. Yes, it’s for the good of workers themselves but making them comprehend the importance of PPE is quite a thorny task for employers. To simplify the same and help you create a safer workplace, here we are offering 5 sure-fire techniques to get your workers use PPE at work-
- Educate them – Education is the key to remove illusion. According to a study, the employees follow rules and regulations 80% more, when they know the true purpose behind formulating them. So, rather than just giving the safety gloves, safety jackets or safety helmets to workers, go to them and educate them about the exact need of it. Tell them why they need to use a certain form of PPE for their task. Not just these, educate them about the dangers and consequences of not applying PPE in their task, and then accentuate the true benefits and influence of PPE equipments on employees’ safety and health.
- Becomes An Example- Lead by Example – Undeniably, leading by example is one of the greatest motivation techniques of all time. If you aren’t truly prepared to utilize personal protective equipments in the working hours on yourself than it’s foolish to expect your employees make the proper use of it. Policies and rules only work when they are executed from the top-most-levels. Moreover, the people who says one thing but does the opposite just can’t be trusted. So, put on that hard Safety helmets and show your employees the true significance of safety in your organisation.
- Make a policy of Using PPE in your work place – Workers have this renowned tendency to become satisfied when they have given the same policy or procedure over a significant amount of time. If there’s no policy of PPE in your work place, it may happen that your employees make the improper use of them and even just avoid them as per their wish. Thus, you have to formulate a proper written policy in operation and to monitor strictly and regularly whether they are using them or not. Remember, not using PPE one time is fine for having the injury to occur. Save your employees and make a strict policy with fine feature for your employees.
- Ensure the Use of Situation Specific Equipment (SSE) – It’s not just about the use of PPE but also about the use of SSE, SSE denotes to situation specific equipment. Means you have to analyze the working situation of the employees and then find the right PPE for them. Always make sure that the PPE they use is easy to clean, upheld and alter. The easier PPE is to utilize, the more employees will tend to use it. Since cleansing and upholding is the major part in PPE utilization, select that equipment which makes these requirements much simpler and easier.
- Maintain Two Way Communication- Making open and two ways communication with employees is the great technique to bring PPE in operation. Include them in the discussion regarding PPE colours, models, and brands, as they are the one who will actually use it. Take feedbacks from your employees about how their PPE is working and take written recommendations for the changes they want in it. Address your employee’s complaints with utmost priority.
PPE such as safety shoes, safety helmets, safety goggles, and safety jackets has revolutionized the way workers operate in work place by making it much safer, healthier and protective. And now if employers will follow the tips mentioned above, they will be able to implement PPE equipment’s at work much easily.